UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov has publicly addressed his ongoing feud with former two-division champion Conor McGregor. in recent days, McGregor has been firing personal attacks directed at Nurmagomedov’s family and religion on social media.
The attacks reached a point so far over the line that UFC boss Dana White had to step in.
But now, Nurmagomedov is sharing his thoughts about the “low life” McGregor who his says is not man enough to confront him face-to-face.
“He wants to always be in the headlines,” Khabib said as transcribed by Bloody Elbow. “If you’ve noticed, after each UFC event, [he] makes comments. He praises those who win, or insults the others. This is his way of self-promotion, that’s how he makes headlines all the time. He knows what he’s doing.
“And I have no problem with that, he can say whatever he wants. But inside the cage he didn’t say anything. When I was hitting him in the face with my elbows and knees, he did not say anything. When I said ‘Let’s talk,’ he didn’t respond. And now, when he is thousands of kilometers away, he is saying things. That just shows what kind of lowlife he really is. When he was on the floor he didn’t speak to me, and that is what really matters.”
Nurmagomedov has not fought since October 6, 2018, when he scored a fourth-round submission victory over McGregor.
With his win over McGregor, Khabib advanced to 27-0 in his professional career. His 27 consecutive wins give him the longest winning streak in all of mixed martial arts. Khabib first won the vacant lightweight championship on April 7, 2018, at UFC 223 when he scored a dominant decision win over Al Iaquinta in Brooklyn, New York. He became the first Russian to win a UFC title. The submission victory over McGregor was his first title defense. McGregor has also not competed since the loss.