Former UFC women’s featherweight champion Cris Cyborg suffered the first defeat of her professional career in 13 year at UFC 232 on Saturday, December 29 to Amanda Nunes. Cyborg was knocked out in under a minute after a wild brawl that saw the two champions swinging for the fences from the opening bell.
Following the bout, Cyborg took to social media to share a video blog of the night.
The video showcases the lead-up and aftermath of her loss, along with words of encouragement from close friend and professional boxer Claressa Shields and, surprisingly, Halle Berry.
“What the (expletive)?” Shields told Cyborg. “I’m not mad about the loss, I’m mad because you know how to (expletive) box. You shouldn’t have been out there just trying to brawl. What the (expletive) did you do that for? You (expletive) jab with me. Jab with her ass.”
Berry was impressed with how Cyborg handled the loss.
“I was shocked, a lot of mixed emotions,” Berry said. “But she’s a champion. You’ll see, she’ll be back. All champions have to face highs and lows. I faced it in my career, we all face it. But she’s a true champion. She’ll be back.”
Whether a rematch is in the books for Cyborg remains to be seen, but it is clear that she is in a good mental state and ready to get back into action as soon as possible.
You can watch the full video below.
Former UFC, Invicta FC, and Strikeforce Featherweight Women Champion Cris Cyborg watched her 13 year unbeaten streak come to an end at UFC 232 via TKO to Amanda Nunes who became the first 2 division champion in Women’s UFC history. Watch this exclusive Cyborg Nation Ep 5 UFC 232 video where she handles defeat while creating friends, family, teammates, and supporters.
UFC 232 Results
- Amanda Nunes def. Cris Cyborg via KO (punches) – Round 1, 0:51 – for women’s featherweight title
- Michael Chiesa def. Carlos Condit via submission (kimura) – Round 2, 0:56
- Corey Anderson def. Ilir Latifi via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alex Volkanovski def. Chad Mendes via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:14
- Walt Harris def. Andrei Arlovski via split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Megan Anderson def. Cat Zingano via TKO (eye injury) – Round 1, 1:01
- Petr Yan def. Douglas Silva de Andrade via TKO (corner stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00
- Ryan Hall def. B.J. Penn via submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 2:46
- Nathaniel Wood def. Andre Ewell via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 4:12
- Uriah Hall def. Bevon Lewis via knockout (punch) – Round 3, 1:32
- Curtis Millender def. Siyar Bahadurzada via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Montel Jackson def. Brian Kelleher via submission (D’Arce choke) – Round 1, 1:40