Spider-Man will be staying in the Marvel Cinematic Universe after all. On Friday, September 27, it was announced that Marvel and Sony Pictures were able to strike a new deal to keep Spider-Man around for a third film, according to Variety.
There was plenty of backlash when it was first announced that Spider-Man would be departing, but now all is right in the universe.
“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” said Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige in a statement. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”
Tom Holland will reprise his role of Spider-Man in the third film of the “Spider-Man: Homecoming” series.
“We have had a great collaboration over the last four years, and our mutual desire to continue was equal to that of the many fans,” said Robert Lawson, chief communications officer for Sony Pictures Entertainment. “We are delighted to be moving forward together.”
Amy Pascal will produce the film through Pascal Pictures. She had previously produced the first two films of the “Spider-Man: Homecoming” series.
“This is terrific. Peter Parker’s story took a dramatic turn in Far From Home and I could not be happier we will all be working together as we see where his journey goes,” Pascal said. “This has been a winning partnership for the studios, the franchise and the fans and I’m overjoyed it will continue.”
The initial hangup with Spider-Man and Sony Pictures came when Sony was unable to come to an agreement with Marvel’s parent company Disney. But now, Marvel fans can all rejoice because Spider-Man is coming home.