The wrestling world was on edge Thursday, May 16, when news surfaced that two-time WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair was in the hospital in Atlanta after undergoing a “very serious” procedure for a “medical emergency.” The news was first reported by TMZ.
However, that may not be the case.
Flair’s son-in-law Conrad Thompson informed Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful.com that the situation is not as serious as initial reports had indicated.
“Conrad Thompson says the Ric Flair situation ‘is not as grave or serious’ as TMZ makes it out, and says that this was a planned procedure that Ric Flair wanted to have before Las Vegas,” Sapp tweeted. “He stated that Flair and the family knew the procedure was coming and he could have had it before or after Vegas, and wanted to feel good for Starrcast.”
In 2017, Flair underwent a serious medical scare that landed him in the hospital for multiple procedures.
According to Jerry Lawler, the 68-year-old Flair only had a 20 percent chance of survival. However, being the champion that he is, Flair fought back in the biggest match of his life. Once he was healthy, Flair immediately returned to the “Nature Boy” we all know and love and was back to cutting promos in an incredible t-shirt that read “This motherf**ker ain’t dead yet.”
Flair was an eight-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion, six-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion, and two-time WWF Champion during his professional wrestling career. Nature Boy was the first holder of the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and the WCW International World Heavyweight Championship and the inaugural WCW World Heavyweight Champion. With the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, Flair became the first person to complete the WCW Triple Crown, thanks to previously holding the United States Heavyweight and World Tag Team Championships. He also held the WWE Triple Crown.