Max Holloway is still a UFC champion, but on Saturday, April 13, the Hawaii native missed out on an opportunity to claim gold in a second weight class when he lost a unanimous decision to Dustin Poirier at UFC 236. Holloway vs. Poirier capped off the night at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia, with both men earning $50,000 Fight of the Night bonuses.
Holloway was transported to the local hospital following his loss to Poirier, who became the promotion’s interim lightweight champion which sets up a showdown with undisputed titleholder Khabib Nurmagomedov later this year, so he was unable to address the media after the fight.
Now, he has broken his silence.
Holloway took to social media on Sunday to discuss his loss while also throwing praise and respect towards Poirier.
“Life is chutes and ladders,” Holloway posted. “Sometimes we gotta take that slide down to get to the next big ladder. It is what it is. We keep playing. We keep fighting. Congrats to Dustin and Jolie. They should’ve already had a belt. Diamonds are forever.”
Nothing but respect for the two warriors.
The full results from Saturday’s pay-per-view can be seen below.
UFC 236 Results
- Israel Adesanya def. Kelvin Gastelum via unanimous decision (48-46, 48-46, 48-46) – to win interim middleweight title
- Khalil Rountree def. Eryk Anders via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Dwight Grant def. Alan Jouban via split decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28)
- Nikita Krylov def. Ovince Saint Preux via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:30
- Matt Frevola def. Jalin Turner via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexandre Pantoja def. Wilson Reis via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:58
- Max Griffin def. Zelim Imadaev via majority decision (29-27, 29-27, 28-28)
- Khalid Taha def. Boston Salmon via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:25
- Belal Muhammad def. Curtis Millender via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 30-26)
- Montel Jackson def. Andre Soukhamthath via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 29-27)
- Poliana Botelho def. Lauren Mueller via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Brandon Davis def. Randy Costa via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:12