Conor McGregor had his punishment handed down from the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday, January 29. McGregor was involved in a post-UFC 229 brawl with UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov where he was attacked inside of the cage by members of the Russian’s team.
After the commission heard McGregor’s case, the brash Irishman received a $50,000 fine.
In addition to the fine, McGregor was suspended for six months.
Following the announcement of his punishment, McGregor took to social media to respond and taunt Nurmagomedov, who received a heftier $500,000 fine and nine-month suspension.
“It was not my intention to land the final blow of the night on my opponent’s blood relative. It’s just how it played out,” McGregor wrote.
“He attempted to use the big security guard that’s in all the movies as cover, but I could smell him a mile away and landed flush down the pipe,” he added.
Khabib’s cousin Abubakar Nurmagomedov and teammate Zubaira Tukhugov were also punished with one-year suspensions and $25,000 fines.
UFC 229 Results
- Khabib Nurmagomedov def. Conor McGregor via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 4, 3:03 – for the lightweight championship
- Tony Ferguson def. Anthony Pettis via TKO (corner stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00
- Dominick Reyes def. Ovince Saint Preux via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Derrick Lewis def. Alexander Volkov via knockout (punches) – Round 3, 4:49
- Michelle Waterson def. Felice Herrig via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 30-27)
- Jussier Formiga def. Sergio Pettis via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28)
- Vicente Luque def. Jalin Turner via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 3:52
- Aspen Ladd def. Tonya Evinger via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:26
- Scott Holtzman def. Alan Patrick via knockout (elbows) – Round 3, 3:42
- Yana Kunitskaya def. Lina Lansberg via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nik Lentz def. Gray Maynard via TKO (kick, punches) – Round 2, 1:19
- Tony Martin def. Ryan LaFlare via TKO (kick, punches) – Round 3, 1:00