Khabib Nurmagomedov is waiting to face the Nevada State Athletic Commission to learn his punishment regarding the infamous UFC 229 brawl where he left the cage and attacked Dillon Danis following his win over Conor McGregor.
While he waits to learn what will happen, the UFC lightweight champion has opened up about the incident.
According to Nurmagomedov, the reason that Danis was the target of his attack was that he was the youngest out of Conor McGregor’s crew.
“I didn’t hear him (during the fight),” Nurmagomedov said, via Australia’s Submission Radio. “I jumped on (Danis) because the other corner is too old – because Conor’s other corner and coaches are too old. That’s why I jumped on him because he’s almost like my age. If I jumped on (McGregor head coach John) Kavanagh, I don’t think it’s too old because Kavanagh can’t fight me.
“In the fight, I didn’t hear him because it was too loud. But I don’t like his whole team. If I had a choice (for) what I (was) going to do, but all the other coaches were too old for me – they can’t fight with me; they’re almost like my father’s age – that’s why I jumped on him.”
You can watch the full interview below:
UFC 229 Results
- Khabib Nurmagomedov def. Conor McGregor via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 4, 3:03 – for the lightweight championship
- Tony Ferguson def. Anthony Pettis via TKO (corner stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00
- Dominick Reyes def. Ovince Saint Preux via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Derrick Lewis def. Alexander Volkov via knockout (punches) – Round 3, 4:49
- Michelle Waterson def. Felice Herrig via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 30-27)
- Jussier Formiga def. Sergio Pettis via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28)
- Vicente Luque def. Jalin Turner via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 3:52
- Aspen Ladd def. Tonya Evinger via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:26
- Scott Holtzman def. Alan Patrick via knockout (elbows) – Round 3, 3:42
- Yana Kunitskaya def. Lina Lansberg via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nik Lentz def. Gray Maynard via TKO (kick, punches) – Round 2, 1:19
- Tony Martin def. Ryan LaFlare via TKO (kick, punches) – Round 3, 1:00