Officially making his debut with the LA Galaxy this past Saturday, forward Zlatan Ibrahimović came to impress. The crowd chanted, “We want Zlatan” and in the 71st minute, they got their wish. He only played a total of 19 minutes in the match vs LAFC, but in that little time, Zlatan scored two stunning goals. Prior to that, he had only trained with the LA Galaxy one time before. Due to his outstanding performance, Zlatan was awarded the Alcatel Major League Soccer Player of the Week. Besides his spectacular skills with the ball, Zlatan is also known for his fiery personality and over-the-top sayings. Here are nine of his best.
1. “No way, Zlatan doesn’t do auditions.”
From the start of his career, Zlatan’s personality has stayed consistent. Even at a young age, he carried an overly confident demeanor. In 2000, Arsenal coach Arsene Wegner had taken interest in the teenager; however, Zlatan turned down the offer once Wegner asked him to do a trial for the team, and responded with this quote.
2. “When you buy me, you are buying a Ferrari. If you drive a Ferrari you put premium petrol in the tank, you hit the motorway and you step on the gas. [Pep] Guardiola filled up with diesel and took a spin in the countryside. He should have bought a Fiat.”
Zlatan had a very short run on FC Barcelona, mostly due to his disagreements with coach Pep Guardiola. The two never exactly saw eye-to-eye, and when Zlatan left after only one season with the team, he didn’t hold back his feelings towards the issue.
3. “Give them a bicycle with my autograph and that will be enough.”
During an interview, the then Paris Saint-Germain striker was asked about Sweden’s top female players, specifically how much they should be paid. Zlatan was quick to answer with this snarky remark.
4. “Lions, they don’t compare themselves to humans.”
In another interview, Zlatan was asked who he thought the best strikers in the Premier League were. He mentioned Aguero and Lukaku, but funnily enough he didn’t name himself. Confused the interview asked Zlatan why he left out his name. The ever-so-humble Zlatan answered with this.
5. “What do you mean, ‘present?’ She got Zlatan.”
When Zlatan was asked about what present he bought for his former fiancee, he gave his honest response.
6. Zlatan: “Only God knows who will go through.”
Reporter: “It’s hard to ask him.”
Zlatan: “You’re talking to him.”
A reporter had speculated about who would win the match between Sweden and Portugal to qualify for the 2014 World Cup. Zlatan shamelessly expressed his thoughts.
7. “A World Cup without me is nothing to watch, so it is not worth waiting for the World Cup.”
After Sweden lost to Portugal and failed to qualify for the World Cup, Zlatan wanted people to know that there was nothing more to see. Cue Porky the Pig breaking through the face of the red drum saying with a wave of his hand, “That’s all folks!”
8. “Absolutely not. I have ordered a plane. It is much faster.”
Annoyed at rumors that he bought a Porsche, Zlatan let everyone know exactly what he thought about that.
9. “It’s Zlatan-style.”
Zlatan was once asked by a reporter whether or not his style of play was Yugoslavian or Swedish since he plays for Sweden but his parents of are Yugoslavian descent. He disregarded either choice and instead said this.
10. “The older I get, the better I get, like red wine.”
Zlatan oozes arrogance, but the 36-year-old may have a point. He’s been the Swedish Forward of the Year winner eleven times and has scored 405 times out of the 684 games he has played in. Now his performance so far in the MLS is backing this statement up.